(The following information was gotten from a book in the 
library of Mr. and Mrs. Bird of Scandia, Washington.)

CREST BADGE: 	A mountain inflamed.

MOTTO:		Stand Fast


	The clan GRANT is one of the clans claiming to belong to SIOL 
ALPINE and to be descended from Kenneth MacAlpine, King of Scotland 
in the 9th Century.

	In the 13th Century the Grants appear as Sheriffs of Inverness 
and they exerted considerable influence in the northeast of 
Scotland and supported Wallace in his struggle.  John (Grant) Chief 
of the clan, married the daughter of Gilbert of Glencairnie.

TARTAN:			Red, green and black.



WAR CRY:			Stand Fast.


	Sarah Ann and Robert Grant lived in Alphington, Exeter, in 
Devonshire, England.  This was the birth place of all of their 
	Joseph Squire, born Nov. 6, 1840.  Baptized in Mint Chapel 
	on December 6, 1840. Samuel Squire with Jesus .... March 20, 

	Samuel Squire, born Oct. 19, 1842.  Baptized in Mint Chapel 
	on November 6, 1842.

	Sarah Ann Grant born Jan. 7, 1845.  Baptized in Mint Chapel on 
May 4, 1845.

	Robert Mical was born December 2, 1847.  Baptized in Mint 
Chapel on February 27, 1848.


WHITE'S DEVONSHIRE HISTORY, 1850 is also in the same library.

	From this history I found that Robert Grant was a shopkeeper 
in Alphington, but it didn't say what kind of shop he had.

	Note from Grandma Morgan's Bible:  Robert Grant died September 
19, 1856.  His grave is in Paddington Cemetery, London, W. Grave 
115 in the Parish of Willesdon.  he died at 46 years of age, at 
Dode 29, Devonport Mews.

Sarah Ann Grant, wife of Robert Grant was born 1811.  We have no 
record of her birthplace.  She died in Pearson, Washington 
(Scandia) where she was living with her daughter, Sarah Anne Grant 
Morgan.  She was buried in Mt. View Cemetery in Pearson, 
Washington, U.S.A.


ALPHINTON:  neat and somewhat extensive village pleasantly situated 
on the west side of River Exe, 1/2 miles from Exeter in a southerly 
direction.  It is in the Wonford Hundred which contained in 1851 a 
population of 1,293.  Wonford Hundr d contains 32 villages 
including Alphington.  In early 1646, Alphington was the 
headquarters of Sir Thomas Fairfax's army, at the time he was 
blockading Exeter.  Twenty houses were destroyed by flood from 
River Exe.  A parochial school was established in 1812 for 
education of children of the poor of this and adjoining parishes; 
supported by volunteer gifts.  Mr. Thomas Brewer was master, and 
Elizabeth Pinchard was mistress in 1857.  There were 85 boys and 50 

(The above was copied from White's Devonshire History 1850)

MINT CHAPEL:  (Wesleyan)  This chapel was erected in 1812 and 
enlarged later to accommodate 1,000 persons.  (We visited the new 
Mint Chapel and also saw a part of the original when we visited 
there in 1976 (Roda Brown).  

Exeter and Alphington are in the far southwest part of England.

GRANTS:  From Exeter, England to United States:
Notes from Annie Grant Hamilton. (Annie was the daughter of Robert 
and Sarah Anne Grant's son, Joseph Squire Grant)  She was first 
cousin to our mother, Eva Morgan Hallman.  We always called her 
"Cousin Annie".

Joseph Squire Grant came to America in 1868 and took up some land. 
 He started a home and then went back to England and married Miss 
Emma E. Green, July 1869.  After the wedding they returned to 
America.  They lived on their place for 14 years.  Their three 
children were:

	Annie, born September 19, 1870.
	Thomas Allen, born November 22, 1873.
	Joseph Squire, born September 29, 1976

Joseph's wife, Emma, died October 4, 1876.  His mother, Sarah Anne 
Grant came from Alphington, England to care for the family.  For 5 
years they lived between two small towns, 5 miles from Nebraska (?) 
and 3 miles from ________ Kansas.  They moved to Topeka Kansas in 
February 1882 and lived there with Aunt Annie and Uncle Will.  In 
1883 Joseph Squire Grant and Tom went to Carbondale and stayed with 
Robert Grant who was running a hotel for his mother-in-law, Mrs. 
Hunt.  In March 1883...started for Seattle, Washington.  They went 
to Pueblo Colorado, then to Denver, Colorado and stayed there until 
September 19, 1883.  Then to San Francisco and Oakland, California 
for two weeks.  The to Seattle by boat.  The Geor. W. Elder.  
Arrived in Seattle October 13, 1883 at 2:30 p.m.  Walked to Uncle 
Will and Aunt Annie (Morgan's).  They passed Lake Union, through 
the Bigelow addition.  (They were living in the old Bigelow home, a 
double house.)  Joseph  Grant and family moved to Olalla, 
Washington March 14, 1884, on five acres of land.  He started the 
post office at Olalla, mail came once a week from Seattle on 
steamer, IOLA.  Sarah Grant, mother of Joseph, lived with them.  
Will and Sarah Anne Morgan were living now in Colby, Washington.  
Annie stayed with them and helped in the home.

(Note by Roda Brown:  Auntie Annie referred to above, is Sarah Anne 
Grant who married William Henry Morgan.  For an account of their 
marriage read a paper written by Calla Hallman Brickley.)


Annie, daughter of Joseph Squire Grant, was married to Mr. Fowler. 
 Edith was their daughter.  Annie later married Dave Hamilton and 
to this union were born:  Earl, Julia, Stella, John and Violet.  
Their families live in and around Port Orchard, Colby and 
Annapolis.  Daughters of Edith and Ernest Switzer:

	Maxine Switzer Johnson			Marian Carlson
	The Heritage					4144 S. E. Harriet Avenue
	12092 S. W. Royal Court			Port Orchard, Washington
	King City, Oregon 97224			98366

Joseph Squire Grant and his two sons operated the Colby store known 
as Grant and Sons.  This was the store that Will Morgan started 
earlier before he moved from Colby to Pearson, Washington.

Squire was married to Celia and they had three children:  Virginia 
(who is Mrs. Ray Haynes) Carol is Mrs. Newell and both live in 
Seattle.  Robert, living in Minnesota.

Thomas Allen Grant married Georgena and to this union were born 
seven children:  Percy, Fred, Joseph, Allen, Willard, June and 

Tom died in 1935 in Colby, Washington.  Georgena lived in the old 
home at Colby until she died at 101 years of age.  She was born in 
Warrington, England and came to the USA in 1880.  She married 
Thomas Allen Grant in September, 1892.  Georgena owned and operated 
the family store from 1936 to 1954.  She was buried in Wasshellie 
Cemetery in Seattle, Washington.

(Note by Roda Brown:  Mama loved her Colby cousins.  The few visits 
we had to Colby were highlights.  The only reason we didn't see 
more of them was the problem of transportation, (the horse and 
buggy days, and later the Ford over long, dusty roads.)

Note:  There doesn't seem to be any family record of Robert Grant  
(Grandma Morgan's brother)  when the family moved from Kansas to 


SARAH ANNE GRANT was born in Alphington, England (in Devonshire).  
She was educated in Exeter.  She taught school.  She was a 
governess for a family in France before she came to the USA with 
her mother.  She was converted in a Wesleyan Methodist Church in 
England.  Her marriage to William Henry Morgan took place in 
Kansas, USA on August 17, 1874.

(Refer to a paper by Calla Brickley, about this marriage.)  (This 
was Will Morgan's second marriage.  See the Morgan family history, 
by Ruth Rankin.)

Will and Sarah Morgan left Kansas with their three older children, 
to Seattle.  They were first on Queen Anne Hill, but then moved to 
Olalla and Colby, Washington.  They started the post office and 
named it "Colby" after an Indian Chief.  Their children were: Mabel 
Augustine, Charles, Laura Pearl, Eva Grant, Minnie and another 
child who died.

I seem to recall that Mama said that Mabel stayed in Kansas for 
schooling, until Grandpa Morgan died, when they sent for her to 
come home.  They took up a homestead in the hills at Scandia, which 
is now known as Hallman Road.  They built a log cabin down by the 
creek and planted lots of fruit trees.  They used oxen to do the 
farm work.  There were only there about 6 years when Grandpa Morgan 
was gored by an ox and died of injuries as he was being taken by 
steamboat to Seattle.  I don't know how soon afterwards that 
Grandma and the family moved to Seattle.

Family of William and Sarah Anne Morgan:

Infant son, born prematurely, April 2, 1875, lived only 2 hours.

Mabel Augustine, born August 17, 1876, died February 22, 1905.  
Mabel is buried in Mt. View Cemetery, Pearson, Washington.

Minnie Blanche, born February 21, 1878, died August 31, 1880 and is 
buried in Kansas.

Charles Mitchell, born January 10, 1880, died October  1942, and is 
buried in Seattle.  (He was cremated.)

Laura  Pearl, born May 17, 1882, died in Yakima, Washington.

Eva Grant, born December 1884, died January 10, 1951 in Bremerton, 
Washington and is buried in Mr. View cemetery, Pearson, Washington.

Mable Augustine was married to Axel Miller (Swedish).  They lived 
near the beach in Scandia, Washington.  Read: When I was a Little 
Girl by Anna Miller Stay.

	Three children:

	Anne Maud married to Harry Stay and lived in Seattle.
		Their children are Marilyn and Donald.
	Laura Mae married Fritz Carlson and lived in Silverdale.
		Their children are Laura Mae and Sidney.
	Mable Blanche

Their mother died when Mable was only 6 months old.  A family in 
Pearson, Washington by the name of Charlie Nelson took her but did 
not adopt her.  However, she went by the name of "Nelson."  They 
lived in Canada (I think Alberta) and came back to Pearson when 
Mabel was in high school.  She had her high school training in 
Poulsbo, Washington.  She became a school teacher and taught a few 
years, but died early in life.

Laura later married Al Erskine.

CHARLES MITCHELL MORGAN married Mae Jones  from South Kitsap.  Her 
folks had come from Wales.  Uncle Charlie and Auntie Mae and family 
lived at 7746 Sunnyside Avenue in Seattle.  He was a traveling 
salesman.  At one time he was a trustee for Seattle Pacific 
college, known then as Free Methodist School at Ross.  In 1902 
Auntie Mae was helping in some tabernacle meetings in Blaine, 
Washington.  They also helped in meetings about 8 miles from 
Blaine, at Pleasant Valley.  uncle Charlie was saved at this time. 
 Auntie Mae was a school teacher before she was married.  

		Their children are Burton (Charles Burton McKinley 
Morgan), Lois and John.  We didn't see them much as children as we 
lived at Scandia and they always lived in Seattle.  We perhaps saw 
them once a year.  Burton and John are both chartered accountants. 
 Lois taught school until her retirement.  Burton and family live 
in California.  John and family live in Anchorage, Alaska. Lois 
never married but her mother made her home with her.  Auntie Mae 
was 101 years old at the time of her death.  Uncle Charlie died of 
cancer in 1942.

LAURA PEARL MORGAN married Ernest Wilder.

Ernest Wilder was saved at some meetings at Pleasant Valley near 
Blaine, Washington in 1903.  It seems that Grandma Morgan and the 
family as well as Auntie Mae took part in camp meetings in the 
Pleasant Valley area.  Brother and Sister Ray, colored evangelists 
were holding meetings a mile from the Wilder home at which time 
Uncle Ernest was saved.  Uncle Earnest and Auntie Laura lived in 
Yakima, Washington most of the time.  However, at one time they 
lived in Eatonville, Washington between Tacoma and Mt. Rainier.  i 
recall that after we had gotten a car we drove over to visit them. 
 Mama also visited them occasionally in Yakima and they came to see 
us at times.  But these visits were very infrequent.  However, we 
were very fond of our cousins even though we never saw them a lot.


Phillip married to Mary Hockstatter.  Their children are Larry and 

Milton lived in Oregon

Archie married to Vern Worrell.  Their children are Archie and 
Vern. Archie later married Clarence Eilertsen and their children 
were Patty and            .

Beulah married to Harold Lykes.

Arduth died when she was young of diptheria.

These families live in Yakima, Washington.  Auntie Laura and Uncle 
Ernest died there, Auntie Laura on October 26, 1953 was buried 
October 30 in Terrace Heights Memorial park, Yakima, Washington.

ORIGINAL POEM by Laura P. Wilder:

I would like to take the good  things of the Savior
That He gave me sailing on life's troubled sea; 
Even bitter things, He took them in His mercy
And what a change when handed back to me.
It wasn't like the bitter think I gave Him.
It dripped with honey; how it helped my troubled heart.
Just how he did it I can never, never tell you
When I gave to Him the bitter angry dart,
My soul was flooded with His very presence
Sweeter than my tongue can ever, ever tell
I gave the hard and bitter things to Jesus,
His pierced hand had touched it; all was well.

POEM by Laura Pl Wilder:


1.	It did not fail, it did not fail
	Oh, praise the Lord, it did not fail
	I fretted, worried, no avail.
	The cruse of oil, it did not fail.

2.	I wondered how, I wondered when
	The Lord would answer prayer, and then
	I heard His voice above the gale,
	"The cruse of oil, it will not fail."

3.	The cruse of oil...God's wondrous grace
	Has helped me run thus far my race.
	Sometimes oe'r mountains, then the dale,
	The cruse of oil, it did not fail.

4.	The wind blew hard, the wind blew long
	But 'bove the storm I heard a song;
	"I'll carry you through wind and hail,
	My child, the oil will never fail."

5.	Tho some may scoff and mock or sneer	
	and criticize, why should I fear?
	Their poor lost soul will some day wail.
	God's grace for me will never fail.

6.	If God has laid His hand on you
	To preach His Word, He'll see you through.
	So trust Him over sea and vale
	The cruse of oil will never fail.


	(We called her "Mama" or "Mom"

Mama was the first white baby to be born in Colby, Washington.  The 
native people were Indians.  She was 3 years old when Grandpa and 
Grandma Morgan moved to Scandia, Washington to take up their 
homestead up in the hills.  The road now called the "Hallman Road" 
leads to their place.  Mama was 9 years old when her father was 
gored by and ox and died of the injuries.

I don't know how long Grandma and the children stayed at Scandia.  
There is a letter dated November 27, 1900, Colby, Washington.  Mama 
was just about 16 years old at this time and they seemed to be 
living in Colby again, but I don't know for how long.  This letter 
is written by Grandma Morgan to "Sister Scheib." who was our Aunt 
Edie, Papa's sister.  In the letter she sent greetings to her 
friends in Scandia and said "the girls are homesick for D.F. Bay 
(that is Dog Fish Bay, which Liberty Bay was formerly called.)  The 
letter also says, "Eva wants to spend her birthday at Pearson, Dec. 
18 but we don't know yet if she can."

They must have moved to Seattle fairly soon as Mama used to tell of 
quit a few experiences in Seattle before she was married, which was 
when she was 22  years old.  She spoke a lot about mission work.  
Read the book "TWICE SOLD-TWICE RANSOMED"  It is a autobiography of 
Mr. and Mrs. L.P. Ray.  Mama called them Brother and Sister Ray and 
we knew them by that, also.  They lived at Green Lake in Seattle, 
not many blocks from Grandma Morgan.  In that book Mom has made 
margin notes of places where she helped the Rays in Mission work:

Page 154:  Stranger's Rest  She makes a note:  "Dear old Stranger's 
Rest.  I thank God for this experience."

Sister Ray's description of this place: "...this was a very 
insanitary place as it was in the back part of a basement where the 
air was bad, and the tide came in under the basement.  There were 
several holes in the walls near the floor, and under the floor 
there was  regular incubator of mosquitos.  We went out and had our 
street meeting. ...It was not trouble to pack the place full of 
stranded men...We have always been glad for our work at Old 
Stranger's Rest."

Sometime later this same mission hall was taken up by Rev. C.S. 
McKinley and the Olive Branch Mission was organized.  Mama used to 
talk a lot about the Olive Branch Mission.


This was on 2nd and Washington, South.  Street meetings were held 
from 10-11:00 p.m.

Page 161  THE WAYSIDE EMERGENCY HOSPITAL  Mama went there on Sunday 

Page 200  OLIVE BRANCH MISSION  Sister Ray tells that the Grandson 
of Chief Seattle, about 50 years of age came in to the Mission and 
was saved.

Page 219  described STRANGERS REST...mentions rats and slops of 
beer from a leaky rough from the saloon above.  Mama's note:  "We 
didn't mind the rats and cockroaches.  Anyway, God honored our 

Brother and Sister Ray visited us just once out at Scandia when we 
were small.

EVA GRANT MORGAN and ELIS AUGUST HALLMAN were married in the home 
of Grandma Morgan at 7750 Sunnyside Avenue, Seattle, Washington on 
December 29, 1906.  They had known each other since they were very 
young as both families lived on homesteads in the Scandia area.


Elis Ralph Hallman, born December 12, 1907, died May 31, 1957.

Roda Irene Hallman, born January 2, 1909.

Calla Mabel Hallman, born January 20, 1910.

Goldie Bernice Hallman, born November 2, 1911.

William John Hallman, born June 28, 1915.

Doris Elloise Hallman, born July 23, 1919.

David Westley Hallman, born February 13, 1923.

Theodore Morgan Hallman, born September 1, 1926.

Mama suffered a stroke and died a few days later in the Bremerton 
Hospital.  Died January 10, 1951, buried in Mt. View Cemetery, Jan. 
12, 1951.


Birth: den November 26, 1846.

Place: (fodd) Gammel Kils Socken (county)
	  Linkopings, Lan, Ostergotland, Sweden

She was the eldest daughter of John Krantz.  She had two sisters in 
Sweden:  Mrs. Helma Erickson and Mrs. Clara Jonson or Jonsson.

Died:  January 21, 1935 at 10:10 a.m. at the age of 88.
Buried in Mt. View Cemetery, Pearson, Washington.


Hanna Theresa was the oldest, born in Sweden.

Ruth Elizabeth, born in Michigan.  Both Hanna and Ruth died young.

Eda (Ida) Hallman Scheib (Aunt Edie) died June 10, 1944.

Carl August born March 10, 1873 and died March 2, 1950.

Gerhard August

(Neither August or Uncle Jerry ever married.  Both are buried in 
Mt. View.

Calla Hallman Cox.  Calla lived  9 years and 9 months, after she 
was shot, and was buried the day our sister, Calla, was born.

Hanna Hallman Lundquist, died March 4, 1952.

Elis August, born September 24, 1877 and died March 13, 1951.  

Selfred August.  Uncle Selfred was born on the ship when they 
crossed the Atlantic en-route to the United States of America.  He 
died at home after a long illness.

Calla was accidently shot by someone thinking the gun was not 
loaded.  She was paralyzed from under her arms.  She could  use her 

The Hallman family worked in logging camps when they came from 


Grandma cooked for the loggers.  But when they settled on their 
homestead and their home in Scandia they gave themselves to 
planting: fruit trees in abundance, formal flower gardens, 
vegetable garden and had livestock for the family needs.
The boys continued in logging for some time.


She, with her husband and family, came to America in 1883, leaving 
Sweden May 17 and arriving in Gaylord, Michigan June 3rd of  the 
same year.  She went through all the hardships of pioneer days, and 
could recall many thrilling and interesting stories of those times. 
 She joined the Pearson Baptist Church in 1891, where she remained 
a faithful member.  Her devotion to the church of her choice was 
marked by unwavering fidelity and faith.  She was a kind and loving 
mother and grandmother and a faithful friend.  She was a charter 
member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union, and always took 
her stand against the forces of evil.

On January 21, 1935 at 10:10 a.m. at the age of 88 years, 1 month 
and 26 days her spirit took its flight to "that bright city, pearly 
white city, where there shall be no night and they need no candle, 
neither light of the sun; for the Lord giveth them light." Rev. 22

She was preceded in her husband and by four children.  Funeral 
service took place at the Pearson Baptist Church on January 27.  
Rev. Emil Friborg and Rev. Mahew spoke words of comfort and 
inspiration and Mr. Robert Johnson of Seattle sang 32 solos in 
Swedish.  Rev Mehew officiated at the committal service at the 
cemetery, and Mrs. Walter Johnson and Mr. Robert Johnson sang, 
"Safe in the Arms of Jesus", in Grandma Hallman's mother tongue.


Birth:	July 15, 1832

Place:	Sodermanland, Sweden.  (Note: Sweden consists of 12 
landscapes including Sodermanland, Upland and Ostergotland.  
sodermanland is south of Stockholm and is a lake country.  Upsala 
is in Upland.  Stockholm is on the border of Upland and 

Church:	He was converted in Svartsjo Co. (Socken) Upsala in 
He was baptized at Nykoping Lan church and county, in Stockholm by 
Pastor A. Wiberg, around Christmas time in 1868. When they arrived 
in Ishpeming, Michigan in 1888, they joined the Baptist Church 
there.  When there arrived in Washington in the spring of 1889, 
they joined the Pearson Baptist Church (in the fall of 1891)

Work	Grandpa Hallman was a gardener and had cared for the State 
Gardens in Stockholm.

Upsala was the last place they lived in Sweden.  They arrived in 
the United States of America in 1883, at Gaylord, Michigan in June. 
 They resided in this country 4 years before contact with any 
Baptist Church.  They took up a homestead in Pleasant Ridge, 
(Bangor) Washington	but later moved to Scandia community where 
they lived the remainder of their lives.  He married Johanna 
Kristian (Jondotter) Krantz October 28, 1865.  He became a 
naturalized American citizen.  He died May 28, 1913 at his home in 
Scandia after an illness, which I think was cancer of the stomach. 
 He was 81 years old.  He was buried at Mt. View cemetery.

Note by Roda:  I recall following after Grandpa as he worked in his 
flowers.  He had formal flower beds and they were well kept.  He 
also had grapes and every season when they were ripe, he came over 
with a bucket of them for us.

When he died I recall that Auntie Eda lifted us children up to let 
us look at him in  his coffin before the funeral.  I loved him and 
he looked so nice.  It didn't make me afraid of death, it was a 
beautiful experience.

Mama and were children were not at  the funeral service but we sat 
out in the field near the 'line fence' where we could see  the 
neighbors going and coming in their horse and buggies.  I was 4 
years and 5 months old.

To Bruce Hallman's home page